So, um, it’s cold. I’ve been out of Minnesota for two whole winters now so 29 degrees is back to being freaking freezing as opposed to positively balmy. I remember how warm 30 degrees used to feel after a particularly frigid day of -15 with the wind chill. Ah, Minnesota winters. But my weakness drove me to the treadmill and guess who listened to music while running for the first time in over a year?!
People are always looking for song suggestions but let me tell you right now that there’s really only one thing you need: a gym with wifi or unlimited data and the Pandora app and the Backstreet Boys channel. Listen, I’m not going to say I’m a huge BSB fan because let’s be realistic here, in middle and high school I was too cool for that shit and in college I wouldn’t even like them ironically.
Today, I don’t give a shit. I’m too old for that crap, so I blasted the BSB channel on my iPhone and I LOVED IT. I was on the middle treadmill with a person on either side and guess who looked like she was having a treadmill party while everyone else looked like they were dying an agonizing, painful, slow death? So let’s hop in our Deloreans and return to 2001: a pop music odyssey.
- “Hit Me Baby One More Time” by B. Spears. Honestly, I spent the years between 12 and 20 literally wanting to hit her, now I just dance along.
- “Spice Up Your Life” by the Spice Girls. C’mon. I AM a ’90s girl at heart and that shit is amazing.
“Everybody” by the Backstreet Boys. Arm dancing no es optional.
- “Bye Bye Bye” by *Nsync. Again, arm dancing no es optional.
- “Fighter” by Christina Aguilera because who doesn’t want to say to the marathon, “I thought after all you put me through I’d despise you but I wanna thank you for making me stronger”? Feel free to practice your badass look in the gym mirror while you run. I look hysterical.
- “Larger Than life” by the Backstreet Boys. OMG. Amazing.
- “All the Small Things” by Blink 182. It wasn’t on the channel but you can’t have a BSB reference and not reference this song because of its video and the fact that after a run you kinda wish you had someone to carry you home…